Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Pursuit of Everything

So it’s the second day of January and I think I’ll bite the bullet. This is my introductory blog post.  I’m not sure where this blog will go or who it will reach but I promise you will always get me!

“Me” is Rachel and I have no idea what I’m doing with this blog.  It may just be another one of my “projects” that my husband has grown so fond of.  Can you detect the sarcasm there?? I first tossed this idea around early last year. The only thing that held me back was direction.  What would this blog talk about?  What should my theme be?  What will I call it?  Those answers all seemed to work themselves out since then. 

You see….I turned 30 last year and struggled with this whole “direction” thing.  A part of me felt like I would never be able to focus on being one thing for the rest of my life.  I’ve always been the one who wanted to experience so much more than just one thing.  I’ve accepted that I love too much in life to focus on one thing but I hope I have enough time to experience all that I want. So the answer to the first two questions would be “my life”. This blog will simply be about this one woman’s life, love and pursuit of everything.

Now to the name of my blog….Through Thick-N-Thin.  This was actually an inspiration that came from a conversation with my husband, Marc.  (To my family reading this, I know you know him by another name but I'll answer that question if you ask☺)  Our life together has been as hard as it has been beautiful.  And we’ve managed to love each other through thick and thin. (Not to mention the body shape reference this could apply to but that’s not my “direction” here…LOL) It’s a phrase that can apply to so much in life…this life…your life…my life.

Right now much of my time is consumed with my roles as wife and mother.  My husband and I have 3 beautiful children. 

This is TJ (my stepson). He’s 11, turning 12 next month.  It’s hard to believe I’ve already watched him grow from a small boy to a young man.  He’s such a gentle, kind soul that loves video games and YouTube. 



CJ is my 3 and a half year old son.  He’s also soft hearted and gentle like his brother but is in the stage where he is absorbing knowledge like a sponge.  He truly loves to learn new things and has surprised me with his knowledge of outer space. 


AJ is my 2 and a half year old daughter.  She’s independent like her mother and wild, wild, wild.  She is truly non-stop from morning to night and she will not tolerate the answer “no” when she’s tired.  Well…the truth is she doesn’t really tolerate “no” almost any time she hears it.


But this is not all I want out of my life.  I’m not afraid that I may lack direction or not know exactly where I should be right now.  I really love the life I have.  I take care of my responsibilities and I know myself well enough to know that growing myself is as important as growing my family.  I love experiences even when they are random.  I hope that you stick around to see my pursuit of everything!

3 comments:

  1. Great start, Rachel! I think it's great that you don't have a specific "direction"! I was reading a blog last week about a woman trying (and failing) to be "supermom". So many women are attempting to be supermom while also being in the workforce. Going home at night only to work their second job (chef, nurse, wife, house cleaner, etc.) all while making sure their kids have cupcakes made from scratch, beds that are made, clean pressed clothes, and their lunches packed for school! But it doesn't have to be this way. It's ok to not live up to someone else's stereotype of what your roll as a mother should be. The fact that you are comfortable with not having a 'direction' is applauding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Kellie! I would love to be a "Supermom" but what good will it really do for my kids if it just makes me cranky, anxious and stressed? I don't want them to remember me that way! Thanks for reading! :-)

      Delete
  2. I think you are an amazing woman, mother, and co-worker. I am excited to follow your journey........

    ReplyDelete

Spammers spam elsewhere. Real people please leave comments. I would love to hear from you!